World Dream Bank
add a dream -
art gallery -
MINE BACK DOOR
Dreamed 1979/9/7 by Chris Wayan
I'm given a tour of a deep mine out behind my parents' house, showing my sister around. The deepest levels have water, cold and hot, even some token trickles of lava, a lot of gold-bearing quartz, and blue clay where diamonds have been found. Little diamond-shaped tags mark the spots to encourage the miners. On the deepest level, at the end of the furthest tunnel, see a dark door. Look in till my eyes adjust...
Stars. See hills against the night sky. Recognize them at last: it's the rift zone near Caņada College and my parents' house. I can see the water tower, in a mirror set up just outside the door.
Movement! There's a guard! I fear he'll kill me for finding out there's an easier entrance to the mine--a simple route to the depths and their treasure! My father owns the mine, dug it himself. A monopoly. How far will he defend it? The guard just glowers.
I back out, return to the surface the hard way.
And I wake.
Write the dream. Believe it to be true. So I tell it to my mother as if it's a rumor I heard, without mentioning the source. She doesn't know, so she asks my dad! Damn!
But he says "No, I've never mined out behind our house, because if it caved in while I was alone, no one would know, I'd be doomed. It's just too dangerous."
I believe him. But the mine is there.
So whose is it?
And I wake again.
NOTES IN THE MORNING
I think the dreams warn I have a secretive side sending me dream-insights, while my inner dad looks the other way. And the echoes of Spaceling hint that unearthing secrets too recklessly could destabilize me!
- My dad never mined: "Never mind"? It's true, my dad's the family extravert--he doesn't dig deep into his psyche--thinks it's dangerous. Consciously. In my first dream he owns the mine, but in the second he's sure he never dug it.
- The easy back door to the mine seems like Freud's dictum "Dreams are the royal road to the unconscious." I read a Freudian study of dreams today. Seems like my dreams agree they're a short cut!
- The owner wants the shortcut kept secret= the side of me in control now? Wants to keep the monopoly.
- Gold: profitable advice gotten from dreams?
- Diamonds/stars: deeper spiritual transformation from hardship--diamonds form only under great pressure!
- The two dreams as a whole echo a science fiction book I just read, Doris Piserchia's Spaceling. In an energy-poor future, an orphan can see doors to parallel worlds. She discovers a scheme to mine one of them for energy. Reckless! Just as pumping oil can cause quakes or salt intrusion, mining other realities causes dimensional instability. This kid has to stop oilmen from wrecking TWO universes!
Are my dreams warning against themselves?
LISTS AND LINKS:
buried treasure -
subterranean dreams -
false waking & nested dreams -
dreams about dreams! -
my dad Jerry - four related dreams:
The Limits of Human Experience,
In the Vault,
His Mine -
World Dream Bank homepage - Art gallery - New stuff - Introductory sampler, best dreams, best art - On dreamwork - Books
Indexes: Subject - Author - Date - Names - Places - Art media/styles
Titles: A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - IJ - KL - M - NO - PQ - R - Sa-Sh - Si-Sz - T - UV - WXYZ
Email: email@example.com - Catalog of art, books, CDs - Behind the Curtain: FAQs, bio, site map - Kindred sites