World Dream Bank
add a dream -
art gallery -
A Thousand Birds
Dreamed 2008/2/28 by Wayan
Disney draws the Legend of the Thou-
sand Birds. Each songbird pulls a thread,
unravels a woven... sleigh? But who
knits a sled?
Every thread starts to shine; frizz, spread
great billowing nets atrail the flock, a glow-
ing wireframe spectre: monstrous echo
of mortal sled-source. Awe
The birds swoop, wheel around the lone
dark prong above the stark bed of snow:
owner of that raveled sleigh. They tow
the unridable apparition at him like
a trucktire of light onto exit-spike. No
ectoplasmic burst. The vast ghost flows
right through the man, up frozen
slope to fuse with flurried sky.
Bundled black against the snow,
muscled body, bearded head:
Santa Claus's Jungian shadow!
And that's the movie's point, I know:
though (and admirably unlike
Walt's old preach) these cels just show
the Incorporeal slip through Flesh--
juncture sans puncture. Oh, find
your own moral, but here's foolish mine:
Thousand Birdpower beats a mere
engine of eight unreliable deer.
NOTES IN THE MORNING
- Santa, eight deer: the dream's contrasting two European folk images of flight:
- Eight flying reindeer representing winter storms (Donder, Blitzen) pull Santa Claus's sleigh. Deerpower: better than horsepower.
- That medieval legend of a (mad)man who harnessed a great flock of migrating birds to carry him to the moon: crowd power!
- The wireframe ghost: dreams themselves! An immaterial version of our life--loose, big, luminous, magical... wireframe, not corporeal.
- Thousand Birdpower beats eight deer: Jung was right; dreamwork is longterm. Ongoing guidance--a loose net of a thousand advisory dreams--powers and steers a life better than struggling to interpret a mere handful of spectacular nightmares. With or without a red-nosed guide.
LISTS AND LINKS:
ice & snow -
magic & mages -
Jungian dreams -
dreams on dreaming -
dreamwork in general -
dream poems -
same dreamer, 2nd allegorical wireframe:
Modeling a Me -
Rudolf flies again:
Hijack! The Christmas Special -
Santa's secret origin:
World Dream Bank homepage - Art gallery - New stuff - Introductory sampler, best dreams, best art - On dreamwork - Books
Indexes: Subject - Author - Date - Names - Places - Art media/styles
Titles: A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - IJ - KL - M - NO - PQ - R - Sa-Sh - Si-Sz - T - UV - WXYZ
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - Catalog of art, books, CDs - Behind the Curtain: FAQs, bio, site map - Kindred sites