World Dream Bank
add a dream -
art gallery -
Twelve Swallows, Seven Hundred Daughters
dreamed 1972/10/14 by Wayan
The grimoire's spell for flight begins
"Kill ten swallows..." No! Instead
in the deep wood, I lure twelve in,
weave and merge them, living--
and I'm the thirteenth thread!
We fuse into a swallow-winged
We fly the wood together to
a glade: court of the Queen.
Some human fool abducts her!
I battle him "Prince Valiant" style--
Swords clash and bell until
The villain hoofs it for the sloop.
I trail, a whirl of wings!
That night as we doze in camp, a thief
takes apart our Volkswagen's wheels
and axles--every bolt!
Screwing the car at dawn, we find
he tore it all to gain a single part--
a small brass screw-cap, one of four.
"Why'd you do it?" He answers, sad:
"For my seven hundred daughters."
Whoa. That must be hard.
I swallow-soar to an icefield,
and snowshoe-skate (surreal!) across.
Whoops! The Enemy's after us!
So we dive in a tropic sea, and pass
(with our wide wings) for a manta ray,
fooling enemy sonar and the cynic sharks.
We meet the Princess of the Reef,
and Judy, and Lydia. As I wake,
I wonder who they were.
But then, who was I?
A deeply distractable fool!
But I know what I loved: becoming bird.
Sweet fusion! How we feathersoared.
Oh--and the warning to reject
the Old Authoritative Text:
Deep magic isn't cruel.
- I dreamt this at age eighteen, back when I thought dreams were senseless. Though it is a crazyquilt, now it seems full of sense.
- The colors: I'd just seen a show of Richard Bowman's paintings. He was the first major artist to extensively use fluorescents. His abstracts shimmered with hot colors. I'm sure that inspired the iridescent dream-cloak, and the coral reefs too.
- Thief with 700 daughters: Richard Bowman and his students (including my mom), over the decades he taught? He was never rich; sacrificed all for his art. As later, with dreams, did I.
- Twelve birds: I didn't read it for a few more years, but in "Memories, Dreams, Reflections" Jung mentions dreaming of a dove-girl. I think she was even associated with twelveness. I've always felt his dream world was familiar, especially the beings he met.
- The Old Authoritative Text: The Bible denies animals have souls, and uses them for sacrifice. Is Jung much better? He warns "Don't be seduced by your anima." Dream-folk are symbols to be juggled and judged--not spirits to befriend. The Western tradition's to rule and use. But I won't kill my dream-birds or own them. We merge as equals!
- This is Dreamverse #5. Yesterday's Dreamverse, The Doctor Kills a Tern, about cruelty to bird-people, reminded me of this early dream about befriending them.
LISTS AND LINKS:
spells and formulas -
animal rights -
compassion, generosity, giving -
shamanic dreams -
flying dreams -
light and color -
underwater dreams -
I'm just not myself today! -
dreams of being other species -
artists and the arts -
dream poems - car-repair voodoo:
Power Drain -
Dreamverses project -
the next Dreamverse: Animal Heaven
World Dream Bank homepage - Art gallery - New stuff - Introductory sampler, best dreams, best art - On dreamwork - Books
Indexes: Subject - Author - Date - Names - Places - Art media/styles
Titles: A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - IJ - KL - M - NO - PQ - R - Sa-Sh - Si-Sz - T - UV - WXYZ
Email: email@example.com - Catalog of art, books, CDs - Behind the Curtain: FAQs, bio, site map - Kindred sites