World Dream Bank
add a dream -
art gallery -
Dreamed 2019/9/3 by Wayan
My sister & brother-in-law show up; they're flying to New York at dawn.
They crave sushi. A new place I won't name is within walking distance. It's open, but near-empty--not a good sign. "Do you have a reservation?" Huh? They deny us a table; seat us on stools at the bar and glare as if we don't belong here. Oh. Because we don't. You can't order; the chef chooses, the price is fixed--and triple anyone else's in town.
We leave. Walk down the block to a place I won't name either, with ramen and Japanese curry. Scorching hot, too starchy, not enough vegs or protein... just as wrong for me, in its own way, as that snotty place. Will I get sick?
I'm asked to fetch the head-bag. You know, the sack
To feed the manfish heads to our city park's wolf pack.
I head out over the lawn. Meet a cute wolf mom
Guarding curious pup. Love's warm glow. I'm calm.
But I do fear the main pack ahead. That crowd
(unlike wild) knows a human scent means food.
But it's my job. So I wade in, and try to exude
Confidence as they gnaw gilled heads of tuna-dudes.
I grab the sack. Empty, so no tug of war--today.
I glide away. Skim across the lawn, as if I'm on
Ice; one leg supports, one trails in arabasque. I
Whirl the bag overhead, a helicopter rotor. Why?
Wolf repellent? Maybe more... wolf baffler. "Hey,
Human Mysteries over here! Don't mess with me."
And it works--on wolves. But would a Baffler ploy
Work on scary human packs? Might be worth a try.
NOTES IN THE MORNING
- My job feeding hungry wolves: I felt I had to feed my relatives. I'm the local, I should know my restaurant turf. Nope!
- Bite human heads: Woke from the dream hot, sick, head aching. The currywolves DID bite my head!
- Sexy lone wolf: passed a pet store with giant plush dogs in the window. Not sexy, but later I curled up in bed with my home-made Foam Furs... who are.
- Human/fish heads: today I read a Marvel comic, "Squirrel Girl"; she went to her own funeral wearing a fish-head disguise. None of the mourners boggled a bit--they were all superheroes.
- Fish-man heads: Waiter at that sushi joint? Snobbery in general?
- Wolves: Curry eaters? Social anxiety? Being seen?
- Weird dance: I once read (in Peter Beagle's The Lady and her Tiger, I think) that one big-cat expert, if he felt in danger, broke into dance. Lions or tigers were so baffled and intrigued they forgot their anger or fear.
- Wild animal repellent: in the ramen place, I blurted--dunno why--"Curry is rhino repellent. It works, too! Not ONE in here!" I didn't yet realize, as my achy body did by next morning, that what I needed was bad curry repellent.
LISTS AND LINKS:
big-city dreams -
Only in San Francisco -
duty & responsibility -
weird dream jobs -
sexy creatures -
weird dream beings -
27 years earlier, similar ploy:
Lily the Lion, or, Spin That Bunny -
30 years earlier, being a Tuna Dude at Stanford, in
Inuit Meditation -
50 years earlier, a lions' feedsack causes a far fiercer dream-poem:
They Feed They Lion
World Dream Bank homepage - Art gallery - New stuff - Introductory sampler, best dreams, best art - On dreamwork - Books
Indexes: Subject - Author - Date - Names - Places - Art media/styles
Titles: A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - IJ - KL - M - NO - PQ - R - Sa-Sh - Si-Sz - T - UV - WXYZ
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - Catalog of art, books, CDs - Behind the Curtain: FAQs, bio, site map - Kindred sites